Functional Lead – Systems vacancy in Loudwater / Greenford / Weymouth (360jc)
|Location:||Loudwater / Greenford / Weymouth|
|Sectors:||Cyber/IT Security, IT/Telecoms, Project Management|
|Placed by:||Ex-Mil Recruitment|
This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in the development of our Client’s in-house systems design capability. As Functional Lead you will manage a team of 40+ systems engineers and sonar analysts across three sites. With the support of team leads on each site, you will develop the team to ensure the business has adequate skills, engineering processes and appropriate resources to deliver its strategic objectives. Reporting to the Head of Engineering Function you will have line management responsibilities and provide technical leadership for your area. In addition, you will be expected to be directly involved on specific projects, taking on key senior project delivery roles. This role is an exceptional opportunity to demonstrate your leadership and managerial skills while retaining your technical expertise and further develop.
The global proliferation of sophisticated submarine threats and the Company’s pedigree and ambition in this domain make this an extremely exciting time to join their team.
The Functional Lead will be responsible for:
• Managing a functional group, its resources (forward load, resource conflict resolution), knowledge, skills, processes, procedures and tools to align with the current and future business needs.
• Interfacing with other departments (such as Programmes, Sales & Marketing and Operations) to ensure efficient and seamless cross departmental working practices.
• Generation or approval of bid estimates within the Systems Function.
• Development and execution of a functional strategy against the company strategic plan.
• Ensuring effective and proactive recruitment of new talents in the function with HR support.
• Developing outsourcing, partnering and agency relationship.
• Interfacing with other engineering Functions (such as electrical/electronics, software, mechanical and support) to ensure efficient working practices with focus on overall system delivery.
• Travelling, at least monthly, to other Command and Sonar Systems sites to support day-to-day Functional activities.
• Providing Functional representation at internal and external design reviews.
• Identifying and helping manage risk within the Function, and as applied to projects.
The Functional Lead is also expected to perform other roles, such as SDA and in that capacity will be responsible for providing design governance to ensure projects are technically compliant and that all engineering activities are conducted to an acceptable standard in accordance with company procedures.
• Self-motivated, adaptable to change, diligent, proactive, with good leadership and excellent inter-personal skills.
• Batchelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
• Solid experience of line management for a team of 20+ engineers and/or multiple teams.
• Solid previous Systems Engineering experience of the whole development lifecycle (as PEL or SDA) ideally within a defence environment with up to date knowledge of Engineering Best Practices, methodologies, processes and tools.
• Proficient with MS Office (Visio, Project, Word, Excel), DOORS. Windchill & IFS experience desirable.
• Regular travel within the UK across the company’s sites and occasional travel to meet customers, end user or suppliers.
In return the are offering an excellent base salary and benefits package and the ability to join a dynamic and expanding company that is seeking to grow the company for the next decade.
Other vacancies that you might be interested in.
10 December 2019
- South East and West Midlands
01 October 2019
Principal Hardware Engineer
- £ Highly Competitive
£ Highly Competitive
26 February 2020
Service Support Engineer
LATEST POSITIONS AVAILABLE
If you are ready for a new role and the next step in your career, take a look at our latest positions available and find your perfect fit. Whatever type of job you're looking for, your next role could be with one of these leading companies. Become a candidate at Ex-Mil Recruitment and apply today.
Jean Claude has been amazing in every step of the way, I’m currently two weeks into my new job a job that I never thought it was achievable..
Jean Claude give me the confidence I needed to do it very highly recommend
I have and many of my contacts have done business with J-C and Ex-Mil Recruitment Ltd, every company HR's should use his business module it is excellent.
On retiring from the Army, I was most fortunate to find such an invaluable mentor as JC. His positive approach, professionalism and shrewd insights were essential factors in my successful job application. With his personal military experience combined with a comprehensive knowledge of civilian employment requirements and opportunities, he is especially well-placed to provide guidance, scope individual needs and identify employment possibilities.
I have found the process with you and your company to be nothing short of fantastic and you have simplified it in a way, that makes your company approachable. You are a straight forward man and there is no fluff around anything you say. This is refreshing in it's approach, as most recruitment companies tend to lead you down a garden path.
You are incredibly thorough and punctual, as well as caring about the individual that is applying through your company. I find this empathy, to be nothing short of incredible and it has really helped me to maintain realistic expectations, as well as being able to openly and honestly converse with you in ways that are simply not possible with any other recruitment company.
I hope your company goes from strength to strength and hopefully you become the first port of call for members that have transitioned out of the Military, as I believe there life would be much easier in doing so.
Ex-Mil proved to be a real-boost to our business by giving us an edge over our competitors when it came to recruitment. Lee, our consultant at Ex-Mil quickly worked to understand our business and requirements for the role, zeroing in on a number of suitable high-calibre candidates
Stephen Farrer, Geotechnical Engineering Limited
Ex-Mil Recruitment are an extremely professional recruitment company and sourced an excellent candidate who has become a successful and valued member of our team
Tim Harms, Touch Wood Enterprises Ltd
Having had a swift and effective kick-off meeting with Ex-Mil Recruitment our needs were swiftly understood. Within a week we were presented with a range of candidates for interview. Pleasingly, the individual that we subsequently recruited significantly exceeded our expectation for the role and has effectively "bought us" added capacity for the budgeted price of the role.
Stewart, General Manager (Operations), Service Company
Jean-Claude is a high-energy, dynamic professional who exemplifies the gold standard in the recruitment of ex-military professionals. Using his connections, intelligence and enthusiasm, he met the needs of every business requirement we set.
Michelle Waterson, Bartech Marine Engineering