Vacancy - Digital Inclusion Volunteer
|Location:||Greater London and Cambridgeshire|
|Placed by:||Deafblind UK|
The digital inclusion role is time-limited and is typically up to 8 individual sessions, to meet the needs of each member(s) confidence in accessing and using technology to benefit their own quality of life.
As a DI Volunteer you would typically support with the following activities:
• To establish and build a befriending relationship.
• To demonstrate how mainstream devices such as smartphones, tablets and PC’s can be adapted to meet the accessibility needs of a deafblind person(s) whilst supporting the individual to perform a range of digital activities across communication, leisure and access to information fields.
• To introduce the deafblind person(s) to a defined set of specialist applications and websites enabling a more independent lifestyle.
• To encourage a deafblind person(s) to express their interests and desires for using technology.
• To help a deafblind person(s) identify suitable digital activities which can enable them to achieve greater independence and social inclusion. e.g. Using communication tools such as skype, email or Facebook to communicate with their grandchildren.
• To provide advice, information and guidance on new and suitable technologies and explain how these may be of benefit to the individual.
• To teach and train the deafblind person(s) to use the devices in an appropriate way that can meet their aspirations.
• To encourage the deafblind person(s) to perform their chosen digital activities independently and with confidence.
• To teach and train the deafblind person(s) to use potentially complex processes in an understandable, fun and accessible way.
• To provide regular updates of your volunteering activities with your named Deafblind UK contact.
What times do I need to commit to?
This role requires regular commitment as agreed with the member. Typically, this can be on a weekly basis.
This role would suit someone who …
• Has a proven interest in technology, or the interest and motivation to learn more about “off the shelf” technology such as smartphones. tablets, e-readers, PC’s.
• Has the interest to learn how such devices can be adapted to meet the accessible needs of people experiencing sensory loss.
• Has the ability to communicate potentially complex processes in an easy to understand way with a confident manner (training will be provided).
• Is willing to empathise with individuals who have differing levels of understanding and confidence in accessing technology.
• Has the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and is willing to encourage individuals to try out new technologies.
• Is approachable and has a patient nature to support people with varying communication needs and experiences of technology.
• Is able to confidently relay information in one on one situations.
• Is willing to learn communication and guiding techniques to meet the needs of the deafblind person(s) (training will be provided).
• Experiences sensory loss themselves.
• Is willing to adhere to the requirements of Deafblind UK’s volunteer policies and procedures including the Code of Conduct as outlined in the Volunteer Handbook.
What are the benefits to you?
• Be part of a friendly and dedicated team.
• Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you will be making a difference to real people’s lives.
• Learn new communications skills.
• Learn about accessible technology and how this can contribute to enhanced life skills.
• Gain work experience such as adaptive technology, people skills and office administration to enhance your CV and make you more attractive to prospective employers.
• Establish positive employability skills to help you in your career path.
How do we support you?
We ensure all volunteers who join our team are well equipped to undertake any tasks that the role requires, and we will provide training and supervision throughout your journey with us. Any specific training will be outlined within your onboarding and induction stages and then discussed at your reviews with your named lead contact.
For more information and an informal chat, contact our recruitment team on 01733 316587 or email [email protected]
Other vacancies that you might be interested in.
26 February 2020
Service Support Engineer
17 January 2020
Digital RF DSP System Engineer
- Herford and Watford
11 February 2020
RF Radio Telecommunications Engineer
- East Hanningfield - Chelmsford
LATEST POSITIONS AVAILABLE
If you are ready for a new role and the next step in your career, take a look at our latest positions available and find your perfect fit. Whatever type of job you're looking for, your next role could be with one of these leading companies. Become a candidate at Ex-Mil Recruitment and apply today.
06 April 2020
Project Procurement Manager
- £ Competitive
06 April 2020
Engineering Manager - Sonars & CM
- £ Competitive
06 April 2020
- £ Competitive
Jean Claude has been amazing in every step of the way, I’m currently two weeks into my new job a job that I never thought it was achievable..
Jean Claude give me the confidence I needed to do it very highly recommend
I have and many of my contacts have done business with J-C and Ex-Mil Recruitment Ltd, every company HR's should use his business module it is excellent.
On retiring from the Army, I was most fortunate to find such an invaluable mentor as JC. His positive approach, professionalism and shrewd insights were essential factors in my successful job application. With his personal military experience combined with a comprehensive knowledge of civilian employment requirements and opportunities, he is especially well-placed to provide guidance, scope individual needs and identify employment possibilities.
I have found the process with you and your company to be nothing short of fantastic and you have simplified it in a way, that makes your company approachable. You are a straight forward man and there is no fluff around anything you say. This is refreshing in it's approach, as most recruitment companies tend to lead you down a garden path.
You are incredibly thorough and punctual, as well as caring about the individual that is applying through your company. I find this empathy, to be nothing short of incredible and it has really helped me to maintain realistic expectations, as well as being able to openly and honestly converse with you in ways that are simply not possible with any other recruitment company.
I hope your company goes from strength to strength and hopefully you become the first port of call for members that have transitioned out of the Military, as I believe there life would be much easier in doing so.
Ex-Mil proved to be a real-boost to our business by giving us an edge over our competitors when it came to recruitment. Lee, our consultant at Ex-Mil quickly worked to understand our business and requirements for the role, zeroing in on a number of suitable high-calibre candidates
Stephen Farrer, Geotechnical Engineering Limited
Ex-Mil Recruitment are an extremely professional recruitment company and sourced an excellent candidate who has become a successful and valued member of our team
Tim Harms, Touch Wood Enterprises Ltd
Having had a swift and effective kick-off meeting with Ex-Mil Recruitment our needs were swiftly understood. Within a week we were presented with a range of candidates for interview. Pleasingly, the individual that we subsequently recruited significantly exceeded our expectation for the role and has effectively "bought us" added capacity for the budgeted price of the role.
Stewart, General Manager (Operations), Service Company
Jean-Claude is a high-energy, dynamic professional who exemplifies the gold standard in the recruitment of ex-military professionals. Using his connections, intelligence and enthusiasm, he met the needs of every business requirement we set.
Michelle Waterson, Bartech Marine Engineering