Vacancy - Design Manager - Mechanical, Electrical and Public Health 032jc
|Location:||City of London|
|Salary:||£46 – 62k|
|Sectors:||Construction, Consultancy, Engineering, Health & Safety, Management, Procurement, Project Management, Senior Appointments|
|Placed by:||Ex-Mil Recruitment|
This is an initial 18 month post, with possibility of extension or permanency.
Your role will be part of a team to manage a comprehensive refurbishment of a number of significant historic buildings Westminster. The Programme plans to refurbish a site to a medium level of intervention in this high public profile site. The Programme also has significant interdependencies with other major programmes in the local area and carries some substantial risks that will require close management. The Programme will deliver the building refurbishments to Level 2 BIM using the NEC3 suite of contracts.
The Programme is fast-moving and the post-holder is expected to make a quick impact following appointment. As well as being the design lead for the project, the post-holder will be asked to contribute to the design management for other projects, as the interdependencies between this programme and other projects are significant, integrated working is becoming increasingly critical.
The NEP and the Restoration and Renewal Programme (R&R) operate an integrated approach to stakeholder engagement through the Stakeholder Engagement Framework. This framework seeks to address this by providing a structure for the planning and co-ordination of stakeholder engagement. The Design Manager is responsible for providing a two-month forecast of engagement required with stakeholders, and work with Relationship Managers to ensure requests are co-ordinated.
The role will require an experienced individual with a skill set of managing design processes on a complex construction project. Working in a team environment where communication skills are important, the Design Manager will develop trust from internal stakeholders that their requirements will be met. Good presentation skills are required both within the organisation and to external bodies such as Planning Authority and Statutory Bodies. The Design Manager will be expected to work with other Design Managers in formulating best practice in design management techniques and reviews.
The main purpose of this proactive role is to take a design management role for the project, co-ordinate and integrate the activities of the Programme’s external design consultants, assist on pre-construction activities, tender opportunities and to control and interrogate the activities of external design consultants. Working and reporting to the Programme Director and Senior Project Leader on the project. The project is currently working on a RIBA Stage 2 which it will conclude by the end of Q2 2018.
You will have significant internal relationships which will include other Programme Directors, Senor Project Leaders, Design Managers, CAS Consultants and others. As well as Third Party Consultants and contractors as well as Statutory Authorities.
Therefore your duties will consist of:
• Manage the MEP design process for all RIBA stages via external design consultants
• Drive innovative, safe and cost effective solutions through value management activities at each stage completion into the proposed design
• Progress MEP design issues within a strict timescale & ensure the design consultants meet information delivery dates
• Ensure, verify & control status of consultants and subcontractors drawings and specifications & registers
• Lead the co-ordination with statutory authorities (services), WSDS, Westminster City Council, Neighbouring buildings, In house services and Utility suppliers
• Ensure the consultant contract scope of services are delivered and maintained
• Manage the milestone design review processes within the NEP and stakeholder teams to ensure progression to both OBC and FBC stages
• Maintain consistent liaison with the Design Authority and ensure programme, project and stakeholder team(s) understand drawings, technical specifications
• Monitor, report and manage any MEP brief changes with stakeholders and teams and communicate the MEP design process and progress to senior management teams and others as required
• Manage the benchmarking of MEP design proposals for quality and value for money
• Ensure MEP design risk assessments are carried out and residual risk is transferred
• Maintain a good relationship with the Strategic Estates Design Authority, Architecture & Heritage department and to ensure Parliamentary Standards are maintained
• Work with key stakeholders and relationship managers in the development of the MEP designs
• Coordinate with other key interdependent programmes and projects such as the Palace of Westminster Renewal & Refurbishment (R&R) programme and Temporary Accommodation project
• Where required, assist in procurement tender review process or cost verification
To be eligible for this role you will need the following skills, qualifications and experience:
• Chartered Mechanical or Electrical Engineer with professional membership of an MEP organisation as IEE or IMechE or similar (Essential)
• Knowledge of MEP design package software (Desirable)
• Previous experience of managing MEP design on large / complex Programmes in construction
• Excellent knowledge of value engineering
• Proven experience of delivering weekly and monthly reports across various stages of the programme/ project lifecycle
• Proven experience of delivering innovative, safe and cost effective solutions into the MEP design for historic or significant buildings
• Good understanding of public procurement processes including negotiation with third parties, successful contract management and risk management
• Experience of ensuring the design process recognises current legislation, standards and codes of practice
• Strong team worker and experience of collaborative/partnering working arrangements
• Excellent communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
• Proven experience of delivering MEP design solutions and significant stakeholder engagement within a complex stakeholder environment
• Sound business and negotiation skills
Other vacancies that you might be interested in.
05 June 2018
- Caterham, Surrey
- circa £40-45k
26 June 2018
Field Service Engineer
- £27-32k + Benefits
£27-32k + Benefits
16 July 2018
- Newbury, Berkshire
- Excellent Package
LATEST POSITIONS AVAILABLE
If you are ready for a new role and the next step in your career, take a look at our latest positions available and find your perfect fit. Whatever type of job you're looking for, your next role could be with one of these leading companies. Become a candidate at Ex-Mil Recruitment and apply today.
16 August 2018
Trainee Facilities Manager
- Kensington, London
- up to £45k + Development
up to £45k + Development
14 August 2018
Trainee Installation and Service Engineer
- Whiteley, Hampshire
- circa £20k to start
circa £20k to start
08 August 2018
Vehicle Mechanic (Plant / HGV)
- £35,000 - £45,000
£35,000 - £45,000
I have and many of my contacts have done business with J-C and Ex-Mil Recruitment Ltd, every company HR's should use his business module it is excellent.
On retiring from the Army, I was most fortunate to find such an invaluable mentor as JC. His positive approach, professionalism and shrewd insights were essential factors in my successful job application. With his personal military experience combined with a comprehensive knowledge of civilian employment requirements and opportunities, he is especially well-placed to provide guidance, scope individual needs and identify employment possibilities.
I have found the process with you and your company to be nothing short of fantastic and you have simplified it in a way, that makes your company approachable. You are a straight forward man and there is no fluff around anything you say. This is refreshing in it's approach, as most recruitment companies tend to lead you down a garden path.
You are incredibly thorough and punctual, as well as caring about the individual that is applying through your company. I find this empathy, to be nothing short of incredible and it has really helped me to maintain realistic expectations, as well as being able to openly and honestly converse with you in ways that are simply not possible with any other recruitment company.
I hope your company goes from strength to strength and hopefully you become the first port of call for members that have transitioned out of the Military, as I believe there life would be much easier in doing so.
Over the years I have registered with several different agencies (civilian and military) and not one has ever been of any use to me whatsoever, either not finding me any work or, worse, sending me to assignments which were totally unsuitable.
It was only by chance that a colleague told me of Ex-Mil Recruitment and I registered with you and you responded by return, since which time you have been in regular communication with me, giving advice and guidance and most especially close liaison with the employer offering the vacancy.
With your assistance I attended two interviews, the first to make selection from several candidates which whittled us down to three and the second (yesterday) to make a final decision from the three remaining, from which I was delighted to be offered the post.
This is all down to your personal excellent communications and liaison and I am most grateful.
Ex-Mil Recruitment are an extremely professional recruitment company and sourced an excellent candidate who has become a successful and valued member of our team
Tim Harms, Touch Wood Enterprises Ltd
Having had a swift and effective kick-off meeting with Ex-Mil Recruitment our needs were swiftly understood. Within a week we were presented with a range of candidates for interview. Pleasingly, the individual that we subsequently recruited significantly exceeded our expectation for the role and has effectively "bought us" added capacity for the budgeted price of the role.
Stewart, General Manager (Operations), Service Company
Jean-Claude is a high-energy, dynamic professional who exemplifies the gold standard in the recruitment of ex-military professionals. Using his connections, intelligence and enthusiasm, he met the needs of every business requirement we set.
Michelle Waterson, Bartech Marine Engineering
I would definitely recommend them for future use for other roles in the business for the following reasons:
1. Quick response time
2. Good probing techniques to ensure they passed on the correct candidates from the paper sift
3. Polite and professional
4. Good calibre of candidate
David C., Community Regeneration Company